Located at 310 West South Street in the heart of Union’s South Street Historic District, our facility was built in the mid- 1870's as the residence of the William A. Nicholson family by James Grant, both Scottish immigrants.
The home remained in the Nicholson family until the death of their son, Allan, a newspaper publisher in the early 1950's. The home was purchased in 1953 by Irene Fowler Holcombe, widow of our founder Samuel Ratchford Holcombe. She and her children, Gladys, Billy, Faye, and August, remodeled the home utilizing the upstairs for their residence and the main level for their business.
In 1965, the family added a chapel to the original home, doubling the size of the facility. A large, handicapped accessible foyer and offices were added in 1985. With the acquisition of neighboring properties, adequate, well-lighted parking was made available behind the funeral home. Realizing the need to better serve our Jonesville and northern Union County patrons, Holcombe’s Jonesville Chapel was established in the historic Fairforest Presbyterian Church located at 145 Hames Avenue, Jonesville, S. C. in June, 1992.
Although our founders Samuel Ratchford (1950) and Irene Fowler Holcombe (1982), along with all of their children August (2001), Gladys (2002), Billy (2005) and Faye (2010) are now deceased, our business continues to thrive and prosper thanks to the wonderful people of Union County, our friends. The S. R. Holcombe Funeral Home is still a family owned and operated business with a grateful third and forth generation assisting and serving the citizens of Union County.
We appreciate the wisdom, ethics, responsibility and heritage that has been passed to us by our grandparents and parents. We seek to provide high quality, dignified services to the families of our communities, realizing that we must meet the personal needs of an ever-changing society. We want to say THANK YOU for the faith, confidence and trust placed in our family since 1949!